Here’s a recipe that any dad would love! It’s jam made with bacon. We like to spread it on a baguette slice topped with sharp white cheddar, but it’s also perfect for hamburgers. What dad wouldn’t love that?
A sweet and savory jam made with bacon!
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- Spread half of the bacon in a single layer in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Remove fat and clean pan.
- Cook remaining bacon, reserving browned bits and 1 tablespoon fat in the pan.
- Add shallots and garlic to pan and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, ginger, and mustard and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to high; add bourbon and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add vinegar and brown sugar and return to a boil.
- Add reserved bacon and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces to a thick glaze, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse until it has the consistency of a chunky jam.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 1 hour and up to 4 weeks.
Cafe Carol http://www.cafecarol.com/