I won’t lie. I’m a holiday cookie fanatic. I have my traditional favorites, but I always love to try something new.
This recipe for cranberry crumb bars comes from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. It’s a simple bar cookie – a buttery shortbread with a tart filling that still satisfies your sweet tooth.
There is beauty in simplicity.
Take these to your next holiday party for a festive dessert!
P.S. Here’s a great Cyber Monday deal I want to share with you!
• Relatable: Sisterhood strives to provide readers with relevant, biblically based articles that relate to what they’re facing every day.
• Appealing: From bright colors to strong graphics and design, Sisterhood’s 64 pages are not only packed with rock-solid content, but they’re also fun for girls to read.
• Trustworthy: Through issue-specific online discussion guides and a free monthly moms enewsletter, Sisterhood helps parents navigate the teen years with the girls they love.
• Connected: The Sisterhood online community connects readers with other Christian girls around the world while also giving exclusive access to tons of online content.
• Mobile: The free Sisterhood Magazine app allows readers to purchase a subscription or individual issues on their iPad, iPhone, iPod touch or Kindle Fire.
• Social: On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest, followers look to Sisterhood as a trusted resource for encouragement, humor, faith-related products, modest fashion and more.
• Sisterhood is a reliable resource for youth groups, small groups or teen girl events. Bulk subscriptions and discounts are available.Sisterhood Magazine exists to lead girls into intimacy with Christ, guide them in developing healthy relationships, showcase positive entertainment choices, provide healthy role models and teach positive self-image. Learn more and subscribe at SisterhoodMag.com!
Sample Magazine: http://bit.ly/SM_
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled, plus more for the pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, and butter the sides and the parchment. In a large, widish bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices. With a pastry blender or fork, work the chilled butter and the egg into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Pat half the crumb base into the bottom of your prepared pan; it will be thin.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, briefly pulse the filling ingredients until the berries are coarsely chopped but not pureed. Spread the filling over the crumb base. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs evenly over the cranberry mixture.
- Bake cookies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly brown on top. Cool completely before cutting into squares.